These biscuits are honestly more like cookies, but they taste delicious. They have such a unique taste combination, and are pretty moist, which would be probably better than a dry biscuit. These cookies are also apparently a popular delicacy in Botswana, and so this international aspect is quite cool! Replace the all purpose flour with gluten free plain flour to make this recipe gluten free.
- 2-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 200ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the caster sugar.
- Add the condensed milk and mix well.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon rind, making sure it’s well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix well together.
- Stir in the milk.
- Let this mixture sit for about 10 minutes (it will harden slightly during this time, so you can easily shape it for baking).
- Take about 3/4 tablespoon sized pieces, roll into balls and flatten slightly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the bottoms start to grow brown.
- Let it sit for about 3-5 minutes before eating.