One of the basics, converting these cupcakes to a gluten free and eggless version is easy and very delicious too. You will have to make a few changes to account for the lack of gluten, such as adding more milk, since gluten free batter tends to be pretty dry. Nonetheless, after making these changes, you end up with a scrumptious cupcake. I frosted mine with some vanilla frosting.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.html
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs equivalent egg replacer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a cupcake tray with liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy.
- Add in the sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg replacer, mixing well, as well as the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour in 3 installments, and the milk in 2, starting and ending with the flour, mixing between each installment.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into the cupcake tray (an ice cream scoop works well for this).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, or with a few crumbs attached.
Makes 16 cupcakes